Thursday, October 2, 2008

Appiah Blog

1. I agree with Appiah that we must make known of the "stranger". I feel like people are too afraid to step out of their comfort zone. Also I believe that the "imaginary stranger" makes it harder for shy people to approach strangers and try to find a common ground. The concept basically means that they have created a stereotype, and judged the stranger before they even met the stranger, which is terrible.  This is easier said than done though. It is hard to meet new people when you feel like you already know how they are going to act. Also when you meet a stranger and they look are have some of the same gestures of a person you have met in your past- then the stranger that you just met may already have a positive or negative vibe. I feel like you can't be afraid to go up to someone, who knows they may just turn out to be some one completely unexpected and wonderful, and if you could have missed out on their great qualities if you would have assumed that they were going to have a different personality.

2. My first day at UK was a little overwhelming. I came here not really knowing anyone, and was a little intimidated. So I just put myself out there an introduced myself to a random group of girls and they are now my best friends! I am so glad that I went up them because they are great people! I just kind of went up to the first group of people that I saw, and it worked out. I let my guard down, and made no judgements because I was a little desperate to make friends. I m glad that I did it! I think that to meet people you have to have a small sense of vulnerability, and a sense of openness. I feel that if I keep having an open mind, then I will make many friends at UK in the future. Also keeping an open mind will allow me to really get to know people and understand where they are coming from on different topics, so that I can become a more well rounded person.

No comments: