Monday, October 6, 2008

Cosmo continued...

1. A "counter- cosmopolitan" is someone who is a little hard to narrow to a single look. Generally the person is introverted, probably a loner. A person who keeps to themselves and rarely goes out of their way to meet new people. I don't think that they have a distinct look, other than their general personality.  I have met a couple people that were "counter- cosmopolitans" here, but they just acted that way for the most part because they were shy. To really experience UK I feel that you have no choice but to put yourself out there.  They are generally not as open to new experiences or personalities.
2. This idea that"the belief that [people] don't matter very much" (pg. 153) seems to me to be a complete contradiction to the essence of cosmopolitanism. I agree with the idea that people feel obligated to be kind to strangers, but to believe that they don't matter is a little harsh. Contrary to my previous statement, people tend to be careless, but I think that the idea is that people are just ignorant. Some people are just ignorant to how other people fit into society. I also agree with Appiah when he says that it is easier to think of an animal as something that doe not matter, rather than a human.

No comments: